Camp MAGIK and Camp Erin – 2013 Spring Announcement
--A Special Camp for Kids Age 7-17 Who Have Lost a Parent, Sibling or Other Close Loved One—
**April 26 - 28 Cartersville, Georgia Deadline to apply April 17, 2013
**May 17 - 19 Hampton, Georgia Deadline to apply May 8, 2013
Camp MAGIK is pleased to announce its 2013 spring schedule of healing camps for children and teens. Camp MAGIK (Mainly About Grief In Kids) serves children who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling or other close family member within the past three years. Camp MAGIK will provide an opportunity for children and teens to meet, talk, and process their grief with professional grief counselors. Time will also be spent on play and fun as a way to help the children heal from the experience of death in the family. Activities may include archery, canoeing, a ropes course, nature hikes, treasure hunts, hay rides, campfires, story-telling, and a talent show. Each camp will be divided into two groups, one for ages 7 - 11, and one for ages 12 - 17. There will be two camp sessions held this spring at dates as noted above. Please pick the one session best suited to you and note this on your application form in the space provided. Application forms are available at www.campmagik.org
Camp MAGIK/Camp Erin sessions are FREE OF CHARGE for attending children. Our Cartersville camp is sponsored by generous support from Heyman Hospice Care at Floyd and private and corporate donations. Camp Erin, our session in Hampton, is sponsored by The Moyer Foundation.
Applications need to be postmarked and sent to Camp MAGIK, 3377 Ridgewood Road, Atlanta, GA 30327 or faxed to the office at 404.355.6631 by the deadline dates. Due to the high demand for this camp, we cannot accept repeat campers.
Parents and guardians – There are three (3) options for parents/guardians:
· We are offering a special Retreat for parents/guardians which will be held at the same time as the children’s camp (April 26-28; May 17-19). The retreat will be facilitated by licensed counselors and will provide an opportunity for adults to process their own grief and be with others who have also had a significant loss through death. Parents/guardians will stay on the same campus, but separate from their children. Activities will include opportunities to relax, talk, provide and receive support, and learn more about grief and loss in a beautiful and peaceful setting. Cost for the adult retreat (children are free) is $25.00 which includes room, meals and all activities. Space for this option is limited. Scholarships available.
- For parents/guardians with more limited time, a special workshop will be held on Sunday April 28 and Sunday May 19 from 9:00am to 2:30pm. This program will help you understand more about your child’s grief and will suggest healthy ways for your whole family to manage and cope with your loss. Activities will include a classroom lecture, a cook-out, and small group discussion. This option is free of charge. All events except the cook-out are adults only.
- Parents/guardians who do not have the time to participate in any of the two options above can still have their children attend camp. Drop your children off at the designated drop-off time on Friday and pick up at the designated pick-up time on Sunday.
· The YCMA High Harbour camp is located in Cartersville, Georgia, approximately 40 minutes north of Atlanta. Free transportation to this camp is provided from Dalton, GA and Rome, GA.
· The Calvin Center camp is located in Hampton, Georgia, approximately 30 minutes south of downtown Atlanta. Free transportation provided from Atlanta, GA.
Specific Camp MAGIK/Camp Erin details (directions, what to bring, etc.) will be mailed to all camp participants approximately 2 weeks before camp. For questions, please call Rene Searles McClatchey at 404.790.0140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you at Camp MAGIK/Erin!